Wednesday 22 August 2012

The heat is on!


Finally it is summer and I‘m in the midst of it, teaching an intensive class in the south of France in an old Mas.

For those who don‘t know the term: A Mas is kind of a former hamlet, nowadays usually in the hand of one proprietor who rents out rooms or small apartments. We organize one or two intensive seminars per year in such a Mas, visiting the region near Nîmes and Montpellier.

The Mas de Mestre is situated in the vicinity of a medieval town called Sommières. It is quite stylish. The rooms have been decorated with the help of local artists, there is a big garden with a swimming pool and a super nice dance floor in the former barn. Our lovely host and her cook take good care of us. It is ideal for an intensive seminar with ten couples. We stay one week, teach 4 hours per day and in the evenings we visit the local Milongas or dance at the Mas. Heaven on earth and very hard work as well! Especially when it is 35 degrees...

Tonight is the day of our Milonga „avec auberge espagnole“: We invite friends from all over the region, they bring food, I dj and everyone dances happily ever after.

In theory.

In reality it is too hot. It feels like the hottest day of the summer and I have to fight against the strong urge of the dancers to just stay put on the veranda and have a beer. Mr. Di Sarli, D‘Arienzo, Biagi and Canaro help a lot and play their nicest Tangos. But during the first Tango of every Tanda, the dancefloor is almost empty. Everyone runs out to have a cool drink. Then they drag themselves back, chose a partner and dance. And literally stick together. I see them smiling, so they seem to have a good time ... but some of them look quite messy.

I don't dance. Apart from having to keep the energy high on the dance floor, I find myself glued to the chair. I don‘t know if it is fatigue or sweat. Both, I guess...

I‘d really love to dance. Mr. Donato is playing Sin Sabor and my feet tingle.

But I cannot move.

It is too hot.

2 comments:

cassiel said...

Poor you! But appart from the weather I hope you have a good time in MdM. I must confess: I've searched for a cheap flight but I couldn't find one :-(

Kind regards

Melina Sedo said...

Nah! I was not too poor. ;-)
And I love watching the people dance. This time, it was just very different...